Friday, November 28, 2008

A Beautifully Smooth Rioja Blend!


I emerged from my Malbec fasciation tonight to pop open a bottle of a really nice Spanish Rioja Red.

Vina Salceda Rioja Crianza is a beauty for the $12-$15 price point. I thought the taste was big and rich. The tannins were pretty smooth on the mid palate. This was just a very nice value bottle of wine.

If you are new to Spanish wines know that they age them before sale. This wine, as an example, is aged 15 months in American oak and then another six months in the bottle before it's released for sale.

This 2004 bottling got 85-to-upper 80s in most reviews I found. For the price, it's a really nice wine. The blend is dominated by the great tempranillo (90%) with some Graciano (5%) and Mazuelo (5%)

The alcohol is light at 13%. I'd put this nice wine near the top of my list to show people you can drink great red wine for under $15.

I bought this bottls for $15 at Mass Ave. Wine Shop in Indianapolis. If you see it, buy it!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment