Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My New Adventure into Sparkling Wines

I take my wine seriously and want to learn more. So today I bought a couple of bottles of sparkling wine.

Last week I felt like I needed to write my newspaper column about bubbly since New Year's Eve was approaching. But I had to do it based on research and virtually zero personal experience. Frankly, I can't remember the last time I even tasted champagne or sparkling wine. It's been a long time.

So I wrote the column, which I'll post to the blog next week. And today I picked up a couple of bottles of sparking wine to get a better feel for those wines.

The wine I opened tonight - New Year's Eve - was a Spanish "A. Duboy" sparkling white wine. I could find very little about the Spanish winery but I did enjoy it more than I thought I would. I 'm not a big white wine fan, though there are whites I like.

This bubbly was pretty easy to drink. The bubbles were rather modest. Anyone who has ever had a champagne-like product may have had the bubbles in the nose sort of feel and this wine had nothing like that. I would describe the Duboy by saying the bubbles were restrained.

The wine was aromatic and had a definite hint of grapefruilt for me. It was easy to drink. I struggled to form a real opinion about it but I'm sure as I open the next bottle or the next I'll then start to build a base for what I like. It was okay, enjoyable, the bubbles were fun and it was easy to drink.

I paid $15.95 for this bottle at Deano's Vino in Fountian Square in Indianapolis, though I did find it a little cheaper online.

I also picked up a bottle of sparkling Pinot Noir from Spain today I'll try another time. I'm headed back to Indy Saturday and may buy another.

Yes, New Year's Eve is the big time for sparkling or bubbly wines. But they are also popular for summer weddings and special occasions throughout the year. I want to know more about such wines. The only way to do it is to drink some!

Happy 2009!!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment