Monday, January 11, 2010

A Silky Malbec with a Disappointing Finish

I was out of the country for two weeks and couldn't really blog with work responsibilities. I do have some things I want to write about my trip to Italy and hope to get to those in next couple days.

Meanwhile, it's back to updates on the wines I'm drinking.

Last night and tonight I drank a bottle of Lorca 2008 Malbec Fantasia. Obviously, it's a very young wine. I found it very smooth with fine fruit but not a lot of depth. It was really easy to drink but with enough structure to hold up to food. This might be really great wine if it was given a couple of years to get happy in the bottle. But I don't buy wine under $15 to age it.

I had it with some spicy (by my rather mild standards) chili I had made and enjoyed it. The wine comes from respected young winemaker Maricio Lorca. It is all Malbec with 30 percent aged in oak.

This wouldn't make my top 3-5 Malbecs by any stretch, but it is good wine.

I paid nearly $15 for this at an out-of-state wine shop. You can probably find it cheaper in other locations.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment