Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Este’ de Bodegas Alto Almanzora Wonderful Red Wine

I like to find good value wines that I can go back to time and again as well as recomment to others.

I've added another to my list: ‘Este’ de Bodegas Alto Almanzora from Almeria Spain. The critics love this wine. I didn't care whether they did or not when I sat down to write this one up, because I thought it was dynamite.

It turns out its a favorite Spanish value wine of many. It gets high praise from Robert Parker and others. It is a blend of a bunch of things, research revealed, but it's not on the bottle. Apparently it's largely Monastrell (Mourvedre), with a little Garnacha and Tempranillo, plus smaller amounts of Cabernet, Merlot and Shiraz.

Wine Advocate
gave the wine an impressive 90 points! I would heartily agree!

It's a big flavorful wine that has a clean fruity taste - certainly some bold raspberry is what I got. It has a huge rich nose where I got a little vanilla.

Here's the best part, you can often find this wine under $10. The various vintages range from 13.5-14 percent alcohol. Anyone looking to expand their palate even a little and/or looking for a good house red that's great with food or by itself should give Este a try!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment