Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Eventful Day with Airlines but in Paso Robles


Despite a rough start, I've arrived in Paso Robles, CA. The town itself, situated almost in the exact middle between San Francisco and Los Angeles is charming with a downtown full of shops, restaurants and wine tasting rooms.

I'm here as a guest of the Paso Robles Wine Alliance, so lets get that out of the way. Tonight we have dinner with the Paso Pioneers or winemakers who have been here a long time paving the way for the boom in more recent times. J. Lohr Wines, Tablas Creek, Eberle .. to drop few names.

The Wine Alliance really is about tourism so the restaurants, organic food producers, olive oil, wine and more will be part of the trip. We are staying in the fabulous Hotel Cheval in downtown. I've included a couple of photos.

I walked town briefly, mainly to buy a cap, because day temperatures are supposed to be in the 90s the next two days. I did taste a wonderful Petite Syrah at Clayhouse wines. So that's just the beginning of lots of wine, culinary experiences, and a visit to the coast on Thursday.

I do sometimes write these blog posts like travel journals when out doing wine country, but I think some of the details are worth the trouble.

My day began with a 3:15 a.m. call from my airline telling me my Indy flight to Phoenix would be delayed six hours. So I immediately got on phone and had the trip entirely re-routed Indy-Chicago-LA-San Luis Obispo. It worked great. The only real harrowing experience was getting to the Indianapolis airport in time. My flight to Chicago left at 5:30 a.m. I live an hour from the airport

I walked into the terminal at 5:10 and made the flight - and I think I'll leave how I got there that fast to one's imagination.

Reception, dinner at Artisan, and we hear from some big names in Paso Robles wine tonight. I plan to do a new post late this evening.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment