Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wine Event For College Seniors Great Fun

Sharing your passion with others is a big part of the fun for me with this whole wine thing. I led a session for 20 Wabash College seniors Wednesday night on basic wine education, protocol, etc.

The guys paid $10 each for a session organized by Career Services. We talked alot about the basics of wine, wine in restaurants, how to taste and evaluate wines for your palate, wine/food pairings, and took lots of good questions.

The wines I poured for them were Ortman 2009 Chardonnay, Sauvion 2008 Vouvray, Cloudline 2008 Pinot Noir, Ortman 2008 Cuvee Eddy, Spellbound 2008 Petite Sirah, and B.R. Cohn 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon.

It's always interesting for me at the end of any group tasting to learn the group's favorites. There was no clear cut winner Wednesday night but a good number of guys suprised me by picking the Vouvray. The biggest winner was probably the Ortman Cuvee Eddy, which is a Syrah, Grenache, Mouvredre, Petite Sirah blend.

A freshman photographer on the college newspaper, which I advise, shot photos for me. Check out Ian Bamgardner's great photos here.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment