Sunday, February 5, 2012

Two Really Great White Wines

It's Super Bowl weekend and I almost always make sloppy joes and drink a big ol' Zin or California Syrah.

Hmm, maybe I'm getting soft in old age. But last night I opened a very nice white blend from the Languedoc and today popped open a white from one of my favorite Oregon producers.

Costieres de Nimes Nostre Pais White - I picked this wine up at Grapevine Cottage in Zionsville Saturday morning at the recommendation of owner/Wine Guy Doug Pendleton. He said it was going to be wine of the week in the coming seven days.

I can see why. I'm a sucker for Grenache Blanc lately and this is 80 percent of that grape grown in the Languedoc-Rousillon region. The remainder is half Roussanne and Viognier.

This is delightfully smooth and light-on-the-palate white wine with hints of lime. It has well-balanced citrus and just enough acid to make the wine crisp. Robert Parker's Wine Advocate gave this wine 92 points. Producer Michel Gassier is an up and coming star in the Languedoc region. Eric Soloman, who seems to his with all his picks, is the importer.

Frankly, this is one of the most enjoyable white wines I've purchased in a long time.

Costieres de Nimes Nostre Pais White, $17.99, Very Highly Recommended

Lange Willamette Valley 2010 Pinot Gris - Lange is one of my favorite producers. I love their Pinot Noir. I do drink some Gris on occasion and Lange delivers. I prefer their Pinot Gris Reserve which comes in at a little higher price point, but this $15 Pinot Gris is quality wine.

The wine was a little light on the fruit. I could only describe it as generic citrus. The acid makes it a good pairing for the baked chicken I'm fixing with a vinegar/cream sauce.

For the price, this is very drinkable, crisp and enjoyable white wine.

Lange Willamette Valley 2010 Pinot Gris, $15, Recommended

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment