Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Recovering from a Napa/Sonoma Hangover

Okay! Okay! It's not THAT kind of a hangover. At least it's not THAT kind of a hangover now that it's Tuesday.

I flew back to Indiana from the west coast late Sunday night and got through a good day at work. I think the week, jet lag, and late flight all caught up with me last night when I slept solid, straight eight hours.

It was such a great trip and really one any wine fan should make. I visited the premium tasting areas of each winery and that made it a spectacular trip. Obviously, the $75 Pinot Noirs, the $200 Joseph Phelps Insignia, and Robert Mondavi Reserve wines at $135-plus aren't for everyone and not what I normally write about on this blog or my newspaper column.

But if you are going to go to this country's best-known wine making region, you really should taste the good stuff. I have two stories I'm going to be anxious to tell in the coming weeks. The first is about how Kokomo's Erik Miller has made his Kokomo Winery such a success in Sonoma's Dry Creek Valley. We spend a couple of hours with Erik after morning tour at a barrel making operation. He is making some great wines at very reasonable price points.

The other story I really enjoyed was meeting Wabash College alum Ted Klopp '67. He owns four vineyards and sells grapes to Kosta Brown, Inman Family wines, and Merry Edwards, among others. We tasted the Merry Edwards wines and visited with Kathleen Inman. It's a unique perspective that will be a fun story to write.

In the meantime, I stumbled across of interesting and fun items in the news yesterday and today. the first was a great piece by the NYT Wine Critic Eric Asimov on decanting.

The second was a YouTube video about a Rube Goldberg-like machine that opens a wine bottle and pours a glass of wine. Check it out:



Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment