Thursday, October 23, 2008

Yes, Another Great Malbec


I tend to get into ruts with my wine. I guess calling it cycles would be a nicer way of putting it.

Right now I'm in a big Malbec rut and enjoying every minute of it. I've had some great ones lately. This evening I tried my first Malbec from Caligiore and it was big, bold, dry and most of all smooth! It has some tannins on the finish that would make even the big, big taste folks enjoy it.

This is a big intense wine, very fruity - even spicy perhaps. It's 14.5 percent alcohol so it's a pretty serious red.

It's also an organic wine grown in the foothills of the Andes Mountains in the Mendoza region of Argentina.

This is a rich, mouthful of wine for those who've tried a Malbec or two and want to try a bigger one. I tend to find the prices of these wines a bit all over the place. I paid $16 or $17 for this one but have seen it as cheap as $12.

It's a good deal at any of those prices. I've blogged about a couple of Malbecs recently and they're great introduction to the grape. I'd recommend the Caligiore if you tried one of those less intense wines and want to take a step up ... still in the same price range but a bigger mouthful of wine!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment