Sunday, March 1, 2009

Zin Not For the Weak of Palate

You start drinking enough wine and there is nothing better than a great big Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah or Zinfandel.

Today I found a great big Zinfandel I really liked for $16.49. The 2006 Klinker Brick Old Vine Zinfandel was really great wine for the price. It had all the characteristics of a bigger priced Zin.

One of the interesting things about this Zin is that two of my favorite wine proprietors recommended this wine which sold me on the idea of taking a bottle home. I opened it tonight largely out of curiosity and loved ever sip.

Interestingly online, I found most reviewers praising that 2005 wine and giving the 2006 negative to so-so reviews. I have nothing to compare it to though and thought the 2006 was a great bottle of wine.

The wine has an intense fruit-forward flavor of deep cherry and a big finish with an alcohol burn down the the throat thanks to the 15.8 percent alcohol content. It is probably not a wine for beginners or the weak of palate. But if you want a big flavor and a big challenge to your palate at a reasonable price, Klinker Brick is the wine for you.

Interestingly, I had bought the winery's upper end bottling "Old Ghost" about a year go. I have it tucked away in my wine storage cooler for a special moment or occasion. It was just over $30 and highly recommended by one of the long-time wine employees at Kahn's Fine Wines on Keystone Ave. in Indianapolis.

If you want a huge taste, try the Klinker Brick Old Vine Zin. I've found it in several places.

The winery story is an interesting one. The winery consists of 15 different vineyards that range from 35 to 110 years old. For years the grapes were sold to other California Zin producers until 2005 when the owners decided to start their own winery.

I also picked up a bottle of their Syrah today for under $17. I'll be trying that in the near future.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment