Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Curiosity Produced An Okay Wine

If you're like me, sometimes you'll pick up a bottle of wine out of sheer curiosity!

I remember being in Indy's Cork & Cracker a few weeks back and was making some carefully considered choices. Then I saw something called "Fourplay" from Sicily.

It is an interesting blend, in equal parts, of four grapes I was totally unfamiliar with prior to picking up the 2004 Dievole wine. The blend is 25 percent each of: Frappato Nero, Nerello Cappuccio, Nebello Mascalese, and Nero D'Avola.

The bottle's label says: "The Island of Sicily is in play with a field blend of four native grapes from the seashore of Pachino. The wine was $13.99 and 13 percent alcohol.

It is sort of a wine you don't have to think much about. It had a typical dark fruit taste on the palate, a decent mid palate body, and some tannins on the finish. It was a nice little glass of wine. I reminded me of a Chianti.

I had it with pasta but think you could enjoy it with grilled meats as well.

It was a nice glass of wine. I might buy it again. The ratings I found were in the low 80s, probably about right. Nothing wrong with this wine, but nothing particularly memorable either.
Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment