Monday, December 14, 2009

Delas Cotes du Ventoux Dry, Tannic Wine

I've really enjoyed some great Cotes du Rhone region wines lately and continue to look for good bargains and good recommendations for those wines or other regions close by.

I picked up a bottle of Delas Cotes du Ventoux (east bank of the Rhone river) recently and popped it open over the weekend. The wine definitely opened up some with time and for my palate was better the second day than the first.

This is a really dry Grenache/Syrah-based French wine. And the tannins were much bigger than I expected or normally find at this price point.

It had the light hints of berry and maybe some floral characteristics but just wasn't to my taste. Interesting enough, Wine Spectator gave the juice 89 points. But all that means is we don't have to agree, now do we?

This was not bad wine, just not the French Rhone that I normally really enjoy. If you like strong tannins with light fruit on the palate instead of the jammy ones, then the Delas is for you!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment