Sunday, December 6, 2009

Ok, So You Haven't Tried Tempranillo Yet?

I have several bottles of young Spanish Tempranillo in my wine rack and lately it seems like they've all been really great bottles of wine.

Tonight I opened a bottle of Legon 2007 Ribera del Duero Roble. And, wow! This was one great bottle of wine!

I've found a couple of great bottles of 100 percent Tempranillo this fall and here's another. There is some woodsy flavor and some vanilla. The tannins are strong enough to hold up to food and it has that distinctive tartness that I use to describe Tempranillo.

The Valtostao Legon comes from 35-year-old vines, providing the layer of flavors and taste beyond the price point.

You'll find this wine up to 15 bucks. I paid $13.99 at Kahn's Fine Wines, Keystone Ave., in Indianapolis. The wine has its fans. Robert Parker gave it a 90 and Wine Advocate called it a Top 100 Value of the Year.

The nice thing about this label is its not hard to find.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment