Sunday, April 11, 2010

Andrew Rich Pinot Noir a Great Pinot for Price Point

One of the wines I picked up Wednesday at Vine & Table's Pick 24 Release Party wasn't part of the promotion but wow!

I bought a bottle of Andrew Rich Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. When manager Jeff Wilcox started talking about Andrew Rich it sparked a fond memory. I spent nearly two hours last April with Jesse Lange of Lange Winery. And I wrote about that experience extensively.

But I remember when I was leaving I was headed to the other side of the wine region to Carlton so I asked Jesse for recommendations. He was reluctant saying he was too busy to know much about anyone's wines. But I pressed him and he said to stop by Andrew Rich. Unfortunately, that day got away from me and I didn't make it there but I will next time.

The wine had a huge stinky Pinot nose with strong hints of the Oregon soils. I was happy just to smell the wine. But then I was surprised when I took my first, and subsequent sips, that the wine was really tight. The flavors just weren't opening up.

More than an hour and a half later, the wine did open and it was wonderful wine with definite strawberry flavors and spices. I loved it.

This wine got a 90 from Wine Advocate, Steven Tanzer, and was a Wine Spectator Daily wine pick last summer.

I found it online mostly around $27-$29. So I'm a little disappointed I paid $35 at V&T, but it sure tasted like a wine at the $40 price point.

Every time I open an Oregon Pinot Noir I come away impressed.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment