Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Evolution a Revolution in Big, Flavorful White Wine

Does it take a mad scientist to blend nine grapes into one great American White Wine? Or, is it just dumping all that left over juice into a barrel and getting lucky?

Sokol Blosser’s American white wine Evolution is unique as it is tasty. Sokol Blosser is an iconic name in Oregon, the home of great Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris. But SK is now onto about its 12th version of Evolution and it’s a very successful blend.

I remember tasting this wine a couple of years ago and liking it at a bar in the grand domed West Baden Springs Hotel in French Lick, Indiana. Tasting it this week reminded me not just of how much I liked the juice but also how unique it is.

Blending nine grapes seems like a recipe for a disorganized assault on the palate. But Evolution is anything but unorganized. The blend of all those grapes gives the wine a bold, crisp apple flavor. I also got a hint of pineapple.

What I like most is it’s a big full-flavored white wine that is great in hot weather. I think it would pair nicely with a lot of food, including big meat dishes. I was sipping it with crackers in the Florida sun Tuesday afternoon.

It’s refreshing and powerful at the same time.

Okay, nine grapes - count them: Riesling, Semillion, Pinot Grigio, Muscat Blanc, Chardonnay, Gewurtzatriner, Pinot Gris, Muller-Thurgau, and Pinot Blanc. It sounds like a mess but it works.

The wine comes in at 12 percent alcohol and is lovely with a really good chill. You’ll find the wine anywhere from $15-$20 in fine wine shops.

The only rating I could find online was an 86 from Wine Spectator. Many people are harsh on blends. I’m not suggesting that’s the case with Evolution and Wine Spectator. But from a drinkablility standpoint, originality, and just plain fun wine - this juice scores closer to a 90 in my mind.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment