Monday, June 28, 2010

A Big, Nice Earthy Bonarda from Durigutti

I've written here a number of times and taken up the cause of Bonarda as a personal mission.

Okay, maybe that's a bit of hyperbole but I love good Bonarda. The grape was the most widely grown wine grape in Argentina before the explosion of Malbec.

It's hard to find 100 percent Bonarda and when I do find one I buy it. I found a good one at Vine & Table in Carmel a few weeks back that I opened tonight.

I opened Durigutti 2007 Bonarda and really enjoyed it with a somewhat spicy pork chop. Yummy!

The wine has a nice, big, and earthy nose. The nose and initial feel on the palate is one of plum, pepper, and an astringency that I like in a nice big red wine.

This was a big flavored wine with very smooth tannins and finish. Additionally, its made by the Durigutti brothers - Pablo and Hector - who have quite a renowned reputation. The brothers started getting real attention working for Altos Las Hormigas winery which produces one of the best value Malbecs I've ever enjoyed.

This wine is a classic Bonarda with a smoky feel you're going to love. If you like Malbec, you need to try Bonarda. It's got a little more going on than many Malbecs but it's a food-friendly wine that many will enjoy.

This wine consistently scores in the very high 80s and can be found around $10.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment