Saturday, January 21, 2012

Arriving for Week-Long Stay in Languedoc Wine Region

Montpellier, France – The incredible charm and history of European cities never ceases to amaze me when I have at least a little time to wander the streets.


I left Indianapolis Friday at 1 p.m. and arrived this morning in Montpellier, France (via Atlanta and Paris) for a week-long press stay in this modern and ancient city that sets on the Mediterranean Sea. I’ll be attending the 19th Millesime Bio Monday through Wednesday. Tomorrow the press group will learn more about organic wines, visit a winery, and finish the day with dinner and winemakers presenting their organic wines.

A couple of interesting buildings facing Place de la Comedie
Before flying home Friday, Jan. 27, I’ll be spending Thursday visiting three wineries out in the Languedoc region. All three producers have significant history in the organic wine movement.

Today was about recovery from all that time in the air. So I had a short nap this morning and then met the marketing person organizing the press trip for a nice seafood salad lunch. I then took 2.5 hours to walk the old historic part of the city. I could walk the old streets and soak in the charm for a week without ever getting to a winery.

I love how alive these old European cities are. The huge pedestrian gathering spots and streets draw tourists, locals, and plenty of performing artists. I posted an album you can click here. A few of the photos are labeled but most aren't. I could look up all the history but as you can tell looking through its an area rich with Roman-style and French architecture.

This evening the 15-member press group gathers for the first time for dinner with a few organic winemakers pouring their wines. Hopefully, I'll have the energy afterwards to write a short re-cap of meeting the winemakers and enjoying my first dinner in France. Hopefully! If not, come back each night this week for stories, wrap-ups, photos and highlights.


Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment