Friday, January 6, 2012

Rico Suave in a Bottle ... Errrr ... Soave



I became a big fan of Italian Soave on a hot Florida beach. It was very hot, I'm pale, I did what any self-respecting wino would do and that was head for liquor store.

I wanted a light white and found a Soave. I don't remember the producer, but they had a chiller and chilled it down for me. I sipped it on the beach, by the pool, and reading my summer vacation novel. I loved it. I've bought several since and find them super hot weather wines and excellent sippers.

Tonight, I opened to share the 2009 Soave Re Midas with my wine Dudes. We're doing an Italian night with some big red whoppers, so a nice light Soave seemed like a wonderful start to the evening.

First a little quick wine education. Soave is made from 100 percent Garganega grapes. Check the link if you want to learn more about this elegant little Northern Italy white wine.

The peach and pear on the front of the palate and the smooth mid palate made me easily forgive the disappearing finish. You'll get a hint of mineral but this 12 percent white wine is a sipper. Don't make it complicated at $10-$14 a bottle. Buy it, drink it and enjoy it.

Besides all that wine geeky stuff, how often do you get to post that famous Gerardo Mejía video?


Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment