Monday, April 23, 2012

Languedoc's Virgile Joly Gaining Notice

The first time I met Virgile Joly in France at Montpellier, I thought 'this guy has something that would sell wine' in the back of my mind.

I've always believed a great story or interesting personalty sells wine and keeps people coming back for more.

iPhone shot I took at Millesime Bio
Joly was the focus of a book, Virgile's Vineyard, that first brought his name and winery, Domaine Virgile Joly,  to prominence. Virgile's English is pretty good and he makes great wine. He just recently contracted with Paul Chartrand, Chartrand Imports, Maine, to bring his wines to the U.S.

Joly's name popped up in my email inbox three times this morning.

First, through a serious of communications, Chartrand  expects to have Joly wines for U.S. distributors by early summer.

Second, Terre de Vins magazine just published its list of the top 20 organic wines from a Languedoc tasting and the top wine was the Virgile – IGP Herault, Domaine Virgile Joly 2005. (100 percent Grenache Blanc)

I really found that interesting because for the story I wrote for Palate Press about organic wine, I called the same wine the best white I tasted at the Millesime Bio. Unfortunately, that section of the story was edited but I did post it to this blog.

Third, I get a number of emails daily about wine news and business. One of those featured this link to Ken Payton's great Reign of Terroir blog and a feature on Joly.

It's nice to know others are taking notice!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment