Friday, May 1, 2009

A Big French Grenache/Syrah - A Mouthful!

I made it over to The Grapevine Cottage briefly this morning while having to visit Zionsville, Indiana, on business. Wow, what a great shop!

The Cottage is located in the beautiful downtown village and has an impressive wine selection. But I only had about 15 minutes, which didn't stop me from grabbing several bottles.

First there was a French Grenache/Syrah blend from Chateau Pesquie and that's the one I opened tonight. It's 70 percent Grenache and 30 percent Syrah. Wine guru Robert Parker gave this wine a 92. And the Grapevine Cottage price was a remarkable $10.99. I found it on the web for a $3-$6 more.


It's a dark purple color with with a mild nose but a big taste. It has a rich berry texture and taste with big enough tannins to satisfy serious wine drinkers. It might be a bit much for some new wine people but it's a really nice wine in the price range and a pretty great wine at the $10.99 I paid.

And with most young, bigger-flavored, red wines it was better after being open for awhile. I did not decant this wine but did pour it into the glass for a short bit before drinking.

I would think it would be great with grilled meats. I almost always like Grenache and Syrah with pork, as long as you give it a rub or some pepper. And it would be a nice pair with most zesty pasta.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment