Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chatting with Oregon Pinot Noir Icon Don Lange

I wrote in an earlier post that I had done several video interviews while in Oregon last summer. The intent was to create a video feature for the national online magazine, Palate Press. That idea never materialize and it's way past time to get some of these marvelous interviews up on the blog.

I've stopped at Lange Estate Winery during all three of my Willamette Valley trips and even as I explore new Oregon wineries, Lange remains a favorite.

On previous trips I had met Jesse Lange who oversees most of the day-to-day operation. I had another appointment set up with him last summer but he had to cancel. I've got to know the folks in the tasting room and they responded they were trying to get 'the Don' to talk with me upon arrival.

'The Don' was Don Lange, Jesse's father, and the founder of Lange Vineyards. The Lange family came along after Erath, Adelsheim and those Willamette Valley pioneers, but the Lange name remains one of the icons in the Valley and Dundee Hills.

Lange makes some of the best Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris in Oregon. The name is known across the country.

It was great fun to finally meet Don and sit down to chat. I've left the videos largely unedited to give the view a feel of being there listening to us chat. There is a second video with Don coming in a few days.The audio on this video is a little low. It was boosted as much as possible without causing distortion. Just crank up your audio and it should do okay.



Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment