Friday, July 30, 2010

A Chat with Oak Hill Winery's Rick Moulton

Whenever I am out traveling and have the time, I like to look for a nearby winery I've never visited. I was just north of Kokomo, In., Thursday and used the new Indiana Winery iPhone application to find Oak Hill Winery in Converse.

I made a call about a half hour before getting there and was delighted to learn owner/winemaker Rick Moulton was around and would be happy to visit.

Oak Hill is one of Indiana's smaller operations making about 1,000 cases of a wine each year. They have a cute little tasting room on the second floor of a cottage right on Ind. 18 in Converse.

Their wines are a great introduction to wine for the novice. Rick uses all natural methods. For those who are used to Indiana's sweet wines, you'll get a real kick out of tasting Rick's dry versions of the same grapes.

I tasted a handful of wines which I found to be well made but certainly on the much lighter side.

Rick and wife Betty Jo host numerous events and also lead bus tours throughout the year. They load up a travel coach and make an overnight trip to a handful of Indiana wineries. I thought that was a great idea!

There is a link to his website above. You won't find oak Hill at Indiana's wine festivals, they're just not big enough for that. But if you are traveling north on U.S. 31 for any reason, Converse is just 15 minutes east on Highway 18.

Below is a short video interview I did with Rick about Oak Hill Winery.



Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment