Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Some Things Are Just Worth the Wait

I'd heard of Amarone. I listened to many wine writers praise the Italian wine.

But I'll admit I didn't know much about it. A couple of months back there was one on www.cinderellawine.com offered at $34 so a bought a couple bottles.

Recently, I've asked myself why have all this great and interesting wine if you don't pop one open when least expected. So I made some pasta tonight and grabbed the 2003 Amarone della Valpolicella. You've seen Valpolicella on wine shop shelves probably at very reasonable prices. Think of Amarone as Valpolicella on steriods - in all honesty, I think I stole that line.

I had to look it up (honesty always the best policy) but it's a blend of Corvina, Rondinella, and Molinara. It's big, it's rich, and just great alone or with a nice bold pasta like I made tonight.

It's aromatic. The finish is very smooth - too refined for some palates, I suspect. It's a wine I would definitely buy again if I can find some at a reasonable price.

It needed serious decanting. When I first opened the bottle it was disorganized and a little strange. But after a couple of hours it was big and rich and very enjoyable.

This wine at $34 is beyond the price point I normally write about but one worth trying for a special occasions.

It's easier to understand the praise now that I've tried the wine.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment