Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Banfi's Centine Rose Great Bang for Your Buck

I get a modest amount of wine from marketing companies since I write a newspaper column, this blog, and contribute to Palate Press. The marketers, hired by the wineries, are hoping you'll say something nice about their products.

I've written about it before with the disclaimer I do accept samples with no promises I'll like or write about the wines. I've stuck to that. Frankly, usually if I don't like them I just don't write about them. But for the most part, I'd guess I've written about 90 percent of the wines I've received. There are several in the wine racks around the house right now.

Last night I opened Banfi's Centine 2009 Rose. All of these shipments have glossy and high quality press materials with the best copy writing money can buy.

For example, the Centine: "An enticing introduction to fine quality wines from Tuscany, Centine's trio of red, white and rose proposes clean, straightforward flavors appropriate for every dish, every occasion, and every season. Available at fine wine retailers and on restaurant wine lists nationwide for approximately $11, Centine's accessibility and value is hard to match."

That's verbatim and typical of the usual pitch. Often the marketing power outweighs the wine but I can honestly say not in this case.

The Centine Rose is a blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot. I was prepared for a rather acidic and strong flavored Rose I wouldn't like. The wine was far lighter than those grapes would suggest with a hint of acidity and really beautiful dry fruit.

I have a bunch of Rose on the racks and haven't consumed as much this summer as recent years. It's time to catch up. I'm glad I started with the $11 Centine.

Banfi has wines all across the country and aren't hard to find. If you like Rose, particularly lighter ones will great balance, try this one.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment