Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Second Try With Spanish Mencia

I opened up a bottle of "Mencia" tonight. Mencia is one of those somewhat lesser-known grapes grown in Spain. I had a bottle a couple months back and wrote about it here.

Tonight's 2006 Mencia was from The Pilgramage and the Bierzo region. Bierzo is in the northwest of Spain.


I struggled getting a handle on this wine. I frankly didn't like it much sipping it before dinner. But with some pasta and then a little bit of chocolate, not to mention the extra time out of the bottle, it improved.

My experience with two Mencias is that it is a smooth, inky wine, with mild tannins. There's a big nose on Mencia. This one was quite dry I thought. But there also has been a tartness with both wines that I didn't particularly enjoy.

My first bottle was $9.99 and can be found for up to $12-$13.

Robert Parker gave this wine 89 points. The Wine Advocate gave it 88 points. That's what makes wine so much fun, we all don't have to agree! I just don't get Mencia, I guess. I wouldn't rule out buying another bottle though - just to give it one more try.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment