Thursday, May 14, 2009

Very Tasty Cabernet Sauvignon from Chili's Maipo Valley

Usually I warn people to beware of celebrity wine. You've seen it! You know it! You may have actually bought some. Now that being said there are some good ones. Greg Norman's Australian wines come to mind as good value wines.

I was in Zionsville Grapevine Cottage and a 2004 Unico Luis Miguel Gran Reserva Cab caught my eye.


If you are not familiar with Luis Miguel, and I was not, he is a multi-Grammy award winning Latin singer with 35 Platinum albums. He partnered with a Chilean winemaker for his wines.

His 2003 Cabernet made Wine Spectator's Top 100 for 2007. Most of the reviews I found on the 2004 were equally effusive for a wine that sells from $12-$16. I paid $15, a very fair price for a nicely balanced Cabernet.

This is a pretty big flavored wine for the price. It has enough fruit up front and nicely balanced tannins for a smooth glass of Cabernet. It was great with a New York strip. This is a little hidden gem to me.

This particular vintage got an 89 in Wine Spectator. You might not find it, but I am becoming more and more impressed with Chilean wines.

By the way, the guy can sing! Check out the YouTube video below!



Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment