Thursday, July 5, 2012

Catching Up on a Bunch of Good Wines

Whenever I'm looking for something on my desk and keep stumbling across notes on wines I've tasted, it's time to write some reviews.

Some of these wines span back a few weeks but I always make a few notes on what I thought. I'm not ever excited about reviewing wines and not sure how important it is to readers. But I do figure if someone reads the blog regularly and finds my recommendations favorable to their palate, then it's worth doing.

So let's catch up ...

Clayhouse 2010 Syrah  - I'm a Clayhouse fan and have written that before. This value line under the Adobe label rocks and is widely available. I don't drink Syrah often but when I do I drink Paso Robles. Hmmm, sounds familiar?

This wine has the stereotypical dark berry and fruit flavors of plum and caramel. I liked the full mouth feel and nice long finish. This juice gets just 10 month in oak making that long finish smooth instead of tannic. It's a relatively low 13.8 percent alcohol wine.

Clayhouse 2010 Syrah, SRP $15, Trade Sample, Recommended


Valdubon 2003 Crianza - Beautiful red wine from the Ribera del Duero region of Spain which always rocks my juice palate.

I tasted pronounced black raspberry and vanilla with that wonderful silkiness you get with well-made and aged Tempranillo-driven wines. But this 100 percent Tempranillo was bolder than some. It was beautiful wine.

Even with additional press in recent years, Spanish wines remain a great value delivering superior quality for the price.

Valdubon 2003 Crianza, Around $20, Trade Sample, Highly Recommended

Jigar 2009 Pinot Noir - This Sonoma Pinot Noir is a California keeper. It comes from the Pinot-rich region of the Russian River Valley.

It's a more full-bodied Pinot than many you'll pick up but with good balance. It's rich with nice minerality and acidity on the finish. There is some dark cherry on the palate. It's really delightful wine.

Jigar 2002 Pinot Noir, Retails around $30, I got a buy under $20 at Zionsville's Grapevine Cottage. Recommended.

NOTE: I have a few more reviews to post as well and hope to get those up Tuesday night.



Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment