Friday, April 17, 2009

A Great Bonarda in My Wine Rack


I've gone on and on here a number of times about Bonarda - my favorite obscure grape. Bonarda is grown mostly in Argentina and was the most widely produced grape there until Malbec took over.

Bonarda has a big, silky, smooth flavor with hints of an earthy/smokey flavor that is awesome with big flavored foods. I had picked up a bottle of Colonia Las Liebres 2006 Bonarda several months ago somewhere in Indy. I think it was Mass Avenue Wine Shop. I don't remember and couldn't rind the receipt, which I usually keep!

I found a link to a story about Bonarda and Argentina which you can read here.

This was really smooth glass of big-flavored wine. It was unfiltered and unoaked which immediately caught my eye. The tannins were very light and smooth. And since I don't remember where I bought it, that also means I don't know what I paid for it. But I found prices ranging from $9.99 to $11.99 on the net.

I threw a bacon-wrapped filet on the grill and the Bonarda lost a little of its pop - just not quite big enough, but it was ok. But alone again after the steak, very enjoyable wine.

For something different, look for a Bonarda. They're not easy to find. Some of the Bonarda blends are pretty good but I'd urge you to find a 100 percent bottling!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment