Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Nice 2005 French Bordeaux

Of all the wines in the world, my wine knowledge thins when it comes to the French. A few weeks back I bought a bottle of Chateau Fourcas-Dupre 2005 at Jungle Jims in Cincinnati. I paid under $20 for it, about $19 as I recall.

If you are around the wine world at all, you know 2005 has been hailed as a stellar year for French wines. That's the main reason I picked up a couple of bottles.

This is a very smooth and well rounded Bordeaux wine. It was just great with a steak off the grill tonight.

I noted in a little research that both Robert Parker and Wine Spectator gave it a respectable 85-88 scoring range on the 100 point system.

It's one of those very old French wineries. The Chateau is on one of the highest points in the Medoc peninsula. The wine is a blend of 44% Cabernet, 44% Merlot, 10% Cab Franc, and 2% Petit Verdot. The Chateau dates back into the early 1800s.

Finding a specific Chateau's wine can be very difficult unless you're a real Franco-phile. But tasting this wine makes me think 2005 Bordeaux wines are worth pursuing.

I'm trying something here .. but unless you speak French, it will not be worth much. Here is a You Tube video interview with Patrice Pages, the winery owner - in French.




Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment