Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Nice Oregon Pinot Noir Under $30

I couldn't resist opening a bottle of Oregon Pinot this week. Having spent two days tasting so much great Pinot Noir last week I found myself aching to again enjoy the senusal aroma and the light touch of fine wine making!

Sorta geeky I know, but it's how I feel about Pinot Noir.

I mentioned in one of my Oregon postings that I had hoped to taste Scott Paul's Pinot during my visit to Carlton. The winery was closed and I went on about my business. While awaiting my flight at Portland's airport back home, I found Scott Paul wine at the "Made in Oregon" shop - post security.

By the way, in many places now you can carry on such things as long as the shop is past the security checkpoint and you have a direct flight or secure connection flight!

I picked up a bottle of the 2007 Scott Paul Martha Pirrie Pinot Noir. It's the winery's desire to produce a great Pinot under $30. I'd have to say this one comes pretty close. I believe I paid about $26 at the Oregon shop.

It is a lighter Pinot, for sure, but with a nice and traditional nose that I can just enjoy for hours. It had a screwcap, which I've come more and more to appreciate.

It is not the bigger and well-structured Pinots you'll find in Oregon at the $35-$50 price point but I wouldn't expect it to be.

With some of these wines, particularly a winery I did not visit, it's hard to know if they distribute or ship to Indiana. But if you see it anywhere it's worth your purchase for the price!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment