Sunday, March 14, 2010

Argentinian Blend Really Easy to Like

Clos de los Siete is a blend from Argentina that is reasonably price, with big forward fruit, soft tannins, and easy to enjoy.

The wine is a blend of Malbec (48 percent), Merlot (28 percent), Syrah (12 percent), and Cabernet Sauvingon (12 percent). (Insert 'kitchen sink' joke here!)

But the end result is a purple wine that has a really rich texture and wonderful finish. I got some mineral quality along with the dark cheery and currants you might expect. But the chocolate and earthy characteristics is what made it a great glass of wine for me.

I didn't know the back story on this wine until after drinking it and writing the first few graphs of this blog post. It seems the wine was made by French winemaker Michel Rolland (his name is on the label). He is often credited/accused of making Bordeaux style wines that are fruit forward and lots of oak. There are those, apparently, who not-so-subtly suggest that's for the purpose of getting big ratings on the 100-point scale that helps sell wine.

I, for one, like an occasional fruit forward, big oaky wine. Apparently, lots of people like such wines.

I had this wine with beef tenderloin and it was a great pairing. I think it would also rock with barbecue.

Wine Advocate
gave this wine 90 points with Robert Parker scoring it 91. The best part is you can find it at $15-$18. I have seen it in lots of shops.

This is simply very good wine that I'd buy again.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment