Wednesday, March 10, 2010

There is Reason Those "Old" Names are Old!

Recently I've taken to drinking more Cabernet Sauvignon. The grand ol grape is grown all around the world and is best known for the great wines of France and California.

I have discovered some old friends, so to speak. I have bought several "iconic" California Cabernets along with a few new ones. And you know what kids? Those "good old boys" of Sonoma and Napa still know, have always known what they're doing.

I admit with a tinge of embarrassment I had never had a Louis M. Martini wine until this very night. Louis started his California winery in 1933 and the family operation runs it to this very day.

I opened the Martini 2007 Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon. You can find it within a range of $12-$16. Guess what? It's damn fine Cab! Wine Advocate and Robert Parker both pinned this value wine at 90 points!

The juice has a huge nose for the price. I get spice, herbs, and some dirt on the nose. I thought it was a nicely balanced and well-made bottle of wine. I'd recommend this wine heartily to those just starting with Cabernet. Sure, it's not a huge wine at this price but it is surprisingly big and even more suprisingly balanced.

This is quality at a Cabernet price point where you usually only see confusion and tricks.

Better yet, Louis Martini wine is widely available. I've bet you've seen the label on the bottle I inserted on this blog.

Pick a bottle up next time you're having steak. I don't think there is any way you can be disappointed with this wine at this price!

I have a couple more in the wine rack I'll be trying soon. There's nothing like 'old friends' - even when you're meeting them for the first time.

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment