Sunday, March 28, 2010

Exploration of Chenin Blanc Continues with Dry Vouvray

I'm still on my Chenin Blanc kick though I hadn't had any until a Friday night bottle of Chateau Moncountour 2006 Vouvray.

I have had the sweet Vouvrays, semi-sweet, and now really dry Chenin Blanc Vouvray. This winery dates back to the 15th Century. It's very well-made wine.

It's floral on the nose with an almost a honey-like characteristic in flavor on the palate. It is very dry white wine. The acidity was strong when I opened the bottle but opened up after it had been uncorked for a couple of hours.

I liked this wine but it clearly wouldn't be everyone's choice. It's a very dry white. It's easy to drink at just 12.5 percent alcohol and a definite balance and structure I liked with each sip.

I'd think a semi-sweet would be the best starting point for most wine drinkers. That being said, I could see red wine drinkers liking the dry version of this wine even if they define themselves as someone who doesn't normally drink white wine.

Vouvray - the adventure continues!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment