Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Great New Zealand Unoaked Chardonnay


There may be as many styles Chardonnay as you'll find in Cabernet around the world. But for many folks they've never even tried an unoaked Chardonnay.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the big, buttery, oaky, vanilla-tinged California Chardonnays. But I have grown to really like the versions done in stainless steel.

Last week I opened a New Zealand (Hawkes Bay) unoaked Chardonnay. This means the wine was aged in stainless steel instead of the traditional oak. The result is a much more crisp and light flavored wine.

The wine was crisp with hints of lemon and was great with some shrimp pasta I had prepared. You might get some melon on the nose but the nice acidity and clean Chardonnay flavor would be a real eye-opener for anyone who's never had this an unoaked Chard.

Babich is known for its really nice Sauvignon Blanc. I was suprised how much I enjoyed the unoaked Chardonnay. At just $13, it's something different worth a try!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment