Friday, August 21, 2009

The 07 Castano Monastrell Even Better than 06

I've written several times about that little Spanish jewel, Castano Monastrel. I first discovered it back in May in Indianapolis. You can read my original comments here.

The 2006 got an 88 from Wine Advocate and was just an amazing glass of wine for $6.99. You'll find it in lots of wine stores under $10 and usually at the $6.99 price point.

This wine has a little stink on the nose but really opens up to a nice smooth floral and spicy wine with a little time. It sings with dark fruit and a mild mid-palate. The finish will linger while you savor a great under-$10 wine.

I repeat my comments about it here because I tried the 07 Castano tonight. Wine Advocate gave the 07 vintage a 90. They were right; it's even better than the 06.

If you see it, buy it. I consistently call this red wine the best under $10 wine I've ever tasted. I think you will too!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment