Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dynamite Albarino from Portugal for $10 or Less


I've been raving here and in the newspaper column about my new-found love affair with Albarino. It's really growing on me. Albarino is a white wine too!

Much like the last red I posted here about, I picked up this wine for a short piece I'm doing for Palate Press - the national online wine magazine which will debut in September.

I found a Portuguese Casa de Vila Verde "white wine" for $10. I bought my first at Mass Ave. Wine Shop in Indianapolis. But today I picked up a couple more at Grape Vine Cottage in Zionsville.

This wine is very refreshing and crisp. It is great by itself or with seafood. I had it with some pasta, shrimp and fresh tomatos and it was great. I'm finishing it off this afternoon by itself. Chill this wine a little more than other whites and head to the porch.

Alvarinho is the Portuguese spelling of Albarino. It's grown in both Spain and the coastal country known for Port and Cork near the coast. It has relatively high acid but low alcohol at 11.5 percent.

There is some peach and maybe green apple or something like that on the palate. I've been trying to describe this wine to friends and call it a delightful midpoint between a Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc. Or, big flavor with a lighter touch and higher acidity.

The Casa de Vila Verde rocks for $10. But find one from either country on any label and I think you'll like it!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment