Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Third Time a Charm for Torrontos White

Back in May I tried my first taste of Argentina's best-known white wine, Torrontos. I wanted a name I was familiar with so I picked up a Pascual Toso. I've had the Pascual Toso Malbec and it was quite nice at a very reasonable price.

Frankly, I didn't think much of their white wine. It lacked acidity and I didn't enjoy the balance of the wine. It didn't have much of a nose and didn't hold up to lightly seasoned grilled shrimp.

I had a second bottle in July from a different label that I have since forgotten. It was too sweet and I barely drank the first glass poured.

That brings me to Finca La Linda 2008 Torrontos which I opened tonight! It was definitely the best of the three. I thought the wine had a flowery scent and nice fruity taste on the front of the palate. It reminded me a bit of a Gewurztraminer with some mild spice on the finish.

It's rather high in alcohol for a white at just over 14 percent. It has crisp characteristics and really balanced well with some grilled shrimp tonight! The wine can be found at $9-$11.

I still lean toward the Albarinos from Spain but some people who like a bit sweeter taste are going to enjoy the Torrontos.

Just get to your favorite wine shop and buy something white and different for these muggy August days!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment