Saturday, August 15, 2009

Want a New Favorite White? Try Albarino

The Summer of 2009 is becoming transformative for me as I've developed a much better appreciation for white wines. I think the newspaper column and this blog have a lot to do with that. I've always felt that I need to touch on some whites to maintain a wider interest and credibilty in building my wine knowledge.

I've tried several very different white grapes this summer but the beautiful Albarino is emerging as my favorite.

Here is a great link to a blog talking extensively about the albarino grape. I trust other bloggers more than Wikipedia! Ha!

This afternoon after an afternoon in the heat working in the yard, I wanted something refreshing. I grabbed an albarino from the rack and put it in the fridge. The one I grabbed was a 2007 Burgan Albarino from Spain.

Albarino is a thick-skinned grape grown largely in the Rias Biaxas region of Spain and in the Vinho Verde area of Portugal.

The Burgans had a medium body with some lemon flavors. I picked up hint of orange as well - an unusual taste in most whites. I'd call it creamy yet still a crisp finish with some tartness.

Robert Parker liked the juice alot giving it 90 points. This wine would rock with seafood.

Almost any good wine shop will have some Albarino - give it a try. And don't ignore the ones from Portugal. The little country by the sea is an emerging story in the wine world, but more of that to come!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment