Saturday, August 8, 2009

An "OK" Grenache-Syrah Blend from France

I have returned to the Cotes du Rhone region for my taste in really good wine the past few weeks. I've not been disappointed.

Tonight I opened a bottle of Domaine Fincham's 2005 Red Note wine which is a 50-50 blend of Grenache and Syrah. I bought this $15 bottle at Pairings in Indianapolis in the Castleton area.

This was a smooth and medium bodied wine that didn't have the pop some of my more recent selections. It was rich and smooth with dark fruit flavors and a just a wee bit of tannins on the finish.

After the wine was open for awhile the nose really came around to a fragrant and earthy French wine. It's a nice introduction to French wines without the power of some others.

Fincham is an interesting guy who married into a wine family apparently. He wed the daughter of a winemaker at Domaine de Pagau in Chateaunef-du-Pape region. This is the southern Rhone valley area.

You'll find the wine up to $19 in some shops. It's a nice bottle of wine but if you can find Patrick Lesec's Bouquet, go with that one!

Send comment or questions to: hewitthoward@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment